Serve on Sundays
We need volunteers to serve with our various teams and ministries.
We are looking for warm, friendly and hospitable people who can serve as greeters, ushers, communion servers and welcome table volunteers. If you like to interact with other people and have a heart to help newcomers feel welcome, come serve with us.
- Usher teams: Our teams of ushers are dedicated to creating an atmosphere that is welcoming, comfortable and free of distractions to support the worship services so that the gospel can be heard every Sunday. The ushers are responsible for meeting and greeting worshipers into the building, providing directions and timely information, helping with seating, as well as distributing bulletins and collecting the offering. It is an ideal ministry for team players who are cool under pressure, capable of balancing assertiveness with graciousness, and can be on their feet for long periods of time.
- Communion teams: The Communion servers have a privileged responsibility to prepare and distribute the elements of the Lord’s Supper, which is served twice a month. This ministry requires for all servers to be resident members of Redeemer Presbyterian Church.
- Book Table: The Book Table volunteers encourage the spiritual growth of the congregation by recommending literature we offer for sale. This is ideal for avid readers who are enthusiastic about Christian authors and literature and are comfortable interacting with others one-on-one. Other responsibilities include setup and tear down, managing money, and keeping track of inventory. This is a once-per-month commitment.
- Information Table: Information Table volunteers seek to facilitate the connection between visitors and the church after each worship service by providing more information regarding Redeemer, its vision, ministries, events and opportunities to get into community.
Requirements to serve
While you prayerfully consider connecting to Redeemer’s community of volunteers, please consider the following commitments:
- Please commit to serve for one year of once-a-month service. (That’s a dozen times a year.)
- If you cannot attend the Sunday you are scheduled to serve, please find your own replacement. (Don’t worry, we have a system for this.)
- Attend a volunteer training session within your first year of serving. You will receive dates and reminders of when to register.
How we serve you
While the Sunday Service Teams seek ways to better serve the congregation, the staff seeks better ways of serving you, the volunteers.
We hope you will take advantage of our numerous fellowship opportunities throughout the year, including free weekly mp3 sermon subscription (available after serving three months), team socials and more.
Thank you for your interest in helping serve the families of Redeemer. We seek to provide the best care for our children through a solid team of volunteers.
Why volunteer with the Children’s Ministry?
- Invested: Children are the next generation of influencers for Christ in New York and around the world.
- Called: God has given each of us talents to share with others. This is a great place to share your gifts.
- Equipped: Whether you come with training or receive training as you serve with us, your skills and experience will affect families of Redeemer each week.
- Needed: The number of children who attend Redeemer has doubled in the last few years. We need you!
- Community: Your investment in the lives of families and fellow volunteers at Redeemer allows for deeper community. One parent expressed how the community of Children’s Ministry volunteers helps their family stay in the city.
Apply to serve our Children’s Ministry
In order to best equip our volunteers and ensure the safety of all, we have the following application process:
- Our staff will send you an email with the application attached.
- Please fill out the application and email it to either Becky or Annalisa. We will contact you so that a visit to a class of your choice can be arranged.
- You are required to complete an application and provide three references before joining a volunteer team.
- Once we receive your application, we will arrange an interview, contact your references and complete your background check.
- Once approved, you will be placed on a volunteer team.
- You will need to attend one of our Volunteer Orientations and the annual training in September.
Expectations we have for our volunteers
- Completion of the application process as explained above.
- Teams: Once you join the Children’s Ministry, you are placed on a team. You serve with your team every other week in the same classroom. This is to build deeper community with your teammates and with the children.
- Nursery parents are asked to volunteer a minimum of three times a year.
- We count on you. Promptness and appropriate preparation are required.
- Adherence to Children’s Ministry policies.
What you can expect from us
- Free annual MP3 subscription or free CD on the Sunday you serve.
- Fellowship and community with other volunteers and Redeemer families.
- Service and training opportunities.
- Prayer from Redeemer’s Prayer Team for your volunteer team.
- Most importantly: Joy in knowing you are impacting the lives of children for all eternity!